Sunday, November 16, 2014

THE BUILD KICKS BACK IN

Mercury Charlie with my T. If a car could have a Godfather, this would be him.
Great news. The T build is back on, and my '29 roadster is on hold. I know, it's crazy to build two cars at the same time. It's for that reason that I parked the T and swore off of it until my Model A roaster is road worthy. Well, in a strange turn of events, the '29 is now on hold and a great opportunity recently revealed itself. My friend, Mercury Charlie, is opening a new shop and until such time that a high-ticket build walks into his shop, he's agreed to work on my T and let me assist. In the spirit of striking while the iron is hot, I invited Charlie out to the T's secret bunker to re-familiarize him with a car which only he last laid hands since its humble beginnings a couple of years ago. To date, Charlie has constructed one of his Zee frames for it, installed a John's Industries 9" reared with 3.50 gears, installed its rear suspension and made major progress on the floors and the firewall. In the spirit of getting the ball rolling, Charlie and I walked around the car last week and put together the following parts list. 

Parts list for the T Build 11.8.14

Front, end -- brakes, hubs, backing plates, king pins, drop axle, shocks, king pins, etc.
Drop Axle -- 5" I-Beam Drop Axle
Steering Box – Vega 
Grill Shell and Insert
 Custom Radiator – A second radiator that adds cooling capacity for stop-and-go driving.
Steering Column --
Driveshaft
Wiring Harness -- Kwikwire
Brake lights TBD—Speedway 46 Fords
Seats (fabricated)
Induction and carbs
Exhaust Custom
Headlight Stands -- Speedway

To get the ball rolling, I ordered a complete front end through Pete & Jakes including a SoCal disc brake front end with faux Buick brake drums, a Magnum 5" drop axle, chrome bat wings and kingpins, as well as a new Vega steering box. Ouch. Quality parts ain't cheap.

As the parts begin to roll in, I just have to wait patiently until a stall opens at Charlie's shop and get the car over there,  so that we can set-up the front end and finish the floors. 
We've got some custom plans up our sleeves, but have agreed to focus on making the car a roller and a driver, before we worry about mods. 

I'll start adding more pics and details as the build starts. 



No comments:

Post a Comment