Thursday, August 23, 2012

FINAL STEERING WHEEL

I just finished the clean up work on this wheel which was custom squared by fellow HAMB Member  DOGDISHDELUXE and had the backside "knuckles" smoothed out. This is the third wheel I've purchased from him, if that's any indication how much I dig his work. This one started life as a 1961 Chevy Belair wheel. I "v-grooved" out the half a dozen hairline cracks, used JB Weld two-stage putty-style epoxy  to build it back up, then did a course of sanding using 100-grit, 200, 320, 400 and 600 grit sandpaper. I fixed the last few imperfections with two-stage JB Weld, the kind that is sold in squeeze tubes.

The center cap is a '52 Buick horn button which I found on E-bay. It was in nice shape when it arrived. I incorporated the Buick center car onto the Chevy's existing horn bar and luckily it fit perfectly. A quick pass over the chrome pieces with Naval Jelly, followed by some metal polish and viola -- she's prepped. I'll end up painting the wheel to match the interior colors, which will be metallic red, dark eggplant metallic, or pearl white. We'll decide that part later.



No comments:

Post a Comment