Sunday, August 26, 2012

THE WHEEL HAS A PATINA NEW COAT




I just couldn't resist painting the wheel, even though I'm a ways off from having the car built. I decided that since I'm going with red as a primary interior color that I'd try to incorporate both the eggplant exterior color and red interior colors into the wheel. So I painted the wheel red, let it dry, then followed with a coat of a wine color. Once it dried, I used various grits of sandpaper to patina the wheel. As usual my wife and son rolled their eyes, thinking I was ruining the damn thing. I think it come out looking pretty damn cool. And at the end of the day, isn't the point for me to love it? Once I had arrived at the patina I liked, I hit it with several coats of gloss clear, and sanded with very fine paper to keep it nice and smooth. The overall effect is that the wheel looks as if has wear. But it feels nice and smooth at the same time. Once I popped the wheel horn hub on it, I was happy.


No comments:

Post a Comment