Tuesday, July 31, 2018

6X2XBADASS!


Scored this old skool Eelco log style intake for my 401 Nailhead last week. Just in time for my birthday thanks to a very understanding wife.  It all started innocently enough when I was researching induction systems after chatting with nailhead gurus DualQuadDave on the HAMB and Russ Martin @ CARS / Buicknailhead.com. 

Both were quick to point out that nailheads like a healthy amount of CFM. Especially given the fact that I've got a little more cam than the stock setup.A 3X2 is undercarbed. A single 4 bbl wants to be at least 800 to 900 CFM. 

I knew it was down to a 2X4 of a X2. With the prices of dual quads -- at least the good ones-- going crazy, I was pretty amazed when a Craiglist ad popped up for a 6X2 nailhead intake just a couple of hours away. I called and had a chat with its owner and as luck would have it, he was selling his intake to pony up dough for another build, a 27 Model T. 

When I told him I was building a 27, it seemed like an omen that I should buy the intake. And while I didn't steal it, I felt that it was priced squarely in the get-it-while-the-getting-is-good camp.

Even though I was earmarking the transmission for my next big-budget item, I couldn't help but jump at the chance to get this rare period-correct intake. In fact, I've yet to find another one like it in Google searches. The center two carbs were rebuilt and it was setup to run just the center carbs. 

But it came with six carbs and a complete set of linkages. It even included a fuel log, albeit it is kind of janky. Everything else looked good, so I asked the seller if he was motivated enough to meet me in Buda to show me the intake after a chat about it. 

Everything was as described and I felt like it worth the investment. Now granted, I'm a long way from needing it, but it's sure nice to have. I'm getting ready to box it up and tuck it out of sight so I can keep focused on the job at hand. 

But before I do, a complete teardown and detailing was in order. 

The grime was only superficial. I spend the weekend cleaning the logs, and once that degreasing job was done, I turned to the linkages, taking numerous shots for reference before tearing it down. A couple hours on the bench grinder with a wire wheel and we're in business. 

Here are some shots.







No comments:

Post a Comment