Sunday, July 8, 2018

RADIO, RADIO...

One of my goals for "Lily" is to have a nice stereo system in her. I know it's not very hot rod. It's actually more of a custom touch. But for my money, it's the often the custom touches that mean the most to me. Something that would disguise an MP3 setup nicely.

So, on Mercury Charlie's recommendation that I look for a cool old era-correct unit to upgrade,
I followed the Buick cue of my drivetrain and looked at Buick AM radios from the sixties, eventually dipping back into the fifties, bringing me to a pretty cool looking unit.

A 54, 55 fully contained Buick unit. Which led to the notion of incorporating one of these beauties into my interior as a console rising up off the trans tunnel and perhaps blending into the dashboard.


.

I was reminded of a unit that Sean Johnstun (Fat Lucky's) built years ago for an owner who loved the look of old amplifiers. MAybe merging these two references will get us to an interesting place.

Maybe not. But it's sure fun thinking about.

Who knows if we'll actually use something along these lines, but it would definitely look cool and the built-in speaker could be a nice solution for an interior with space limitations.

These are the thoughts that race around in my mind when I'm waiting for the first cup of coffee to brew.

Some people cure cancer. I think about customs. It takes all kinds.
Onward.







No comments:

Post a Comment