Thursday, July 5, 2018

SPOKE TO A NAILHEAD GURU TODAY


After spending an inordinate amount of time researching nailhead information on the internet, and
seeing a lot of differing opinions. I reached out to a man whose name I'd heard for years. Russ Martin of Centerville Auto Repair and the Nailhead Buick website is a true nailhead guru.

Half an hour on the phone with Russ gave me absolute clarity on any of number of subjects including carburation, intake manifolds was nothing but gracious and answered a litany of questions I had about nailhead in general and the set-up for my T.

We not only talked parts, as Russ has one of the largest selections on the 'net and a ton of technical information as Well. When I got off the phone, I hade tremendous clarity about how I wanted to move forward with my build and for that, I'm truly grateful.

Simply put, after getting Russ MArtin's opinions, I wanted to spend my money with him.
Here's a list of the parts I ordered.


  • A complete gasket set
  • A new, made-in-the-USA water pump
  • A new timing chain cover
  • A new fuel pump
  • A pair of polished Fenton valve covers
  • A polished valley pan with oil spout and PVC


$1,150 later I was much closer to having my engine dressed to impress.
 ready. The last remaining items being multiple carbs, whether 4X2's, or 2 X4's.

Some stuff I learned from asking Russ point blank abut various parts of my build plan.

SWITCH PITCH TURBO 400:

Russ is a big fan. Strongly recommended a small 12" convertor for such a small and relatively light car as my T. Has one in one of his cars, and is running a 12" torque converter from a 300 ci Buick. Has his variable lockup wired to a high/low dimmer floor switch switch and a dash light to indicate when in use.  Reports about a 400 rpm RPM awing when it's in use. Loves his.


INTAKE MANIFOLD:

Russ recommended a 4X2 setup using an Eelco mainifold, which is a repro of a Weind. 

CARBS

2X2 is not enough carburation. Larger nailheads need a lot of carb according to Russ is a fan of the 2X4 setup with Edelbrock 600s, specifically the new AVS 2's.


VALVE COVERS:

VC hold down bolts are longer, but no longer available. Russ recommended using 5/16th course threaded rods and acorn nuts.

VALLEY PANS:

The polished seven fin with oil spout and PCV will work well with no other brathers. It will not work on the factory 2X4 intake. Will work with all aftermarket 2X4 intakes. 


HEAD GASKETS:

Russ strongly recommended changing the head gaskets because FelPros are commonly used and don't hold up well.

HEADS:

Proper torque specs are very important. make sure heads are properly torqued when head gaskets are installed. NEVER use hardened seats to a nailhead.

Special thanks to Russ Martin for all the great information. And if you're looking for nailhead parts or great advice, I strongly recommend you call or email Russ at 530 272- 1564, or nailhead_russ@yahoo.com

www. http://centervilleautorepair.com/
























Marty is not a fan.




:
A single 4bbl or even 3 two barrels is not enough carburation for my 401.






Russ shared a ton of learning with me. I was able to ask him about the parts I was considering and he had nothing but good advice.

From our










as while no expert,

No comments:

Post a Comment