Friday, August 31, 2018

CINDERELLA'S SLIPPER: THE 401's PULLEYS AND FAN BELT



Thanks to a little luck and my nailhead parts stash, I discovered that I had matching three-groove nailhead crank and water pump pulleys to replace my misaligned single-groove units.

With the Alan Grove custom Alternator bracket installed, I attempted to measure for the proper V-belt and missed by roughly a mile. After taking fan belt measurements in the most logical way imaginable using a length of string, I discovered I don't know dick about measuring for a fan belt.

I consulting the Alan Grove instructions that came with my brackets and it recommended
a size range from 51 & 1/2" - 52 & 1/2".

I went to my local Advanced Auto and ordered three sizes.

And the winner is...


The Gates 52 & 1/8" PN 11A1310 or 7516



I've now got my alternator, water pump and crank pulleys in close-to-perfect alignment. I also detail painted the fan in silver and universal gold to match the engine and utilized a fan extension, Now the only thing left is to contact the fine folks at Alloyboltz.com to get four of their stainless steel polished bolts to replace the bolts that came with the kit.

I'm looking forward getting the over to Mercury Charlie's to finish the floors and getting on with the build.  Cooling system, brakes, driveshaft, transmission, and installing a wiring harness still needs to be done.

We have miles to go yet, but I'm happy with the progress. Onward!


No comments:

Post a Comment