Monday, August 13, 2018

PULLEY MEASUREMENTS AND ALTERNATOR MATH

With the new water pump and timing cover mounted, I find myself one step forward but two steps back. My stock single V-groove water pump pulley and my stock single V-groove crank pulley aren't in alignment. With both mounted, my water pump's pulley sticks out 3/4" of an inch further than my crank's pulley.

For the sake of discussion, I took shots. And measurements.


6&3/16" across, holes are 1/2" and 3/8" across, center opening is 3& 1/4" across.
]This is its face.] 




Water pump pulley is 6& 3/4" across.



Crank Pulley is 1 & 1/8" deep.



Water pump pulley is 1&9/16" deep.s



A quick measurement of my water pump pulley revealed that my top pulley (WP) is 1 & 1/4" inch deep. And a Part Number: 1368358. If my calculations are correct, that means a 2" deep GM single V-groove pulley is what I need to have both single V-groove pulleys in alignment.

Then it occurred to me. With my new Alan Grove alternator mount (PN 240-R) now in place, I really need to mount an alternator before I solve my pulley-alignment conundrum.

That way, all my pulleys will be in place and I'll be able to take proper measurements and determine whether a nailhead multiple-grove pulley (two or three) is the appropriate fix, or whether I can pull off getting three single-pulleys in perfect alignment, which would be the cleanest scenario.

So off I went shopping for a quality alternator, leading me to Powermaster alternators and numerous options. After comparing their most expensive PowerGen, the alternator that looks like a generator. Nice product, but I had three problems:

I: I can't afford it to pay multiple hundreds of dollars for an alternator, no matter how stealthy and period-correct it looks.

II: The PowerGen appears to have a differnt mounting system that my new Alan Grove bracket.

III: With the 6X2 Eelco intake on the docket as my final intake of choice, the PowerGen's depth
appears to put it back further back towards the engine in what I'll refer to as "The Interference Zone".

As much as I'd love to have an alternator that looks like a vintage generator, I don't need to take expensive risks.





Nobody wants an expensive part that interferes with an even more expensive part. That's how projects end up staying projects. So with my custom alt bracket and making everything fit in mind, I
looked for the most aesthetically pleasing solution.

A drum roll, please...

Ladies and gentlemen, I proudly present the PowerMaster 12si, a 150-amp, single-wire alternator available in a variety of finishes including chrome, polished, and black, and what you see here, which is called their natural finish. An alternator that uses the stock mounts will make beautiful music together with my Alan Grove bracket. At least that's the hope.

Given all the work I've just performed to make my open engine compartment a thing of beauty, I went back and forth considering finish, but ultimately decided the "natural finish with gold post" best matches the gold and aluminum look I've got going.

As sexy as the chrome and polished alternatives sound, I think a natural finish with a few coats of VHT clear, will get me to heaven.

So there you have it. the next spend on my endless list to Tall T happiness.



The other option is the "smooth look" 12si (150-amp) option, which is more expensive but probably the cleanest looking set-up and therefore the one I'm most likely to go with.


What started as a pulley dilemna, is now an almost two hundred dollar alternator. It never ends.



No comments:

Post a Comment