Monday, November 28, 2011

THE BEGINNING OF A GREAT ADVENTURE-- PARTS DROP

Well, I'm now just a few days away from heading down to Austin to deliver my drivetrain and suspension to Mercury Charlie's shop. It's basically the complete drivetrain my '29 roadster came with, which is a 1966 Buick Riviera 425/Turbo 400 combo backed by a 12-bolt I plucked out of a '67 Riviera from John's Auto Salvage in Seguin, TX. Given the size of the barge the rear came out of, it's a safe beat we're looking at rear end gears in the neighborhood of 2.75 to 3.0.  
 The front end is a vintage "Dago" dropped axle.  Not sure what the steering box came from,  as it was in the car when I got it from Ian Loska. The roadster as I got it from Ian is pictured below:












The next time I'm in Austin will be to take delivery of a roller. A Mercury Charlie double Z'ed frame with suicide front end and traverse sprung rear. The drivetrain will consist of my 425 Nailhead, Turbo 400 and 12-bolt. All suspension will be in place. Charlie should have the chassis ready for me in February. We've got a long way to go, but we'll at least I'll be a giant step closer.

Well, here's the body patiently waiting for its close up in my garage.
It sat in the corner of a restorers garage in AZ since the early eighties.

A fella's allowed to dream, right? Soon my dream will be a giant step closer to reality.
The wheels and tires will be robbed from my 29 roadster.

Here's the engine and pipes. A massaged 425 with a Schneider cam.

Here's the parts list for Charlie:

425 Nailhead
Turbo 400
12-bolt
Driveshaft
Steering box
Front drop axle front end with spring
Radiator
Grill Shell
Wheels and tires

No comments:

Post a Comment