Monday, November 7, 2011

REAR SUSPENSION AND PROPER REAR GEARING

After talking to Charlie about the rear suspension and rear end for the T, Charlie recommended I contact Pete and Jakes to get some parts prices. I chatted with Jason at Pete and Jakes, who provided a couple of options. Charlie and I discussed those option and landed on the following set-up. We're going run ladder
bars with a 40 Ford style low-arching traverse spring. Here's a breakdown with Pete and Jakes Part #'s for the Ladder/Traverse Spring Rear Suspension:

Model A Ladder bar kit PN 2011
40 Ford style spring PN 3058
Brackets PN 5019
Rear shock kit PN 1070
Rear Crossmember for traverse spring PN3016

On Charlie's recommendation, I also inquired about rear ends with both P&J and John's Industries. 
Both Jason (@P&J's) and John (owner of John's Industries) very helpful and really took the time to base recommendations on my intended use. After discussing what I intended to do with the car, which was simply cruise it, both gentlemen encouraged "highway gears". Their rationales were almost identical. I'm building a light car using a 425 ci engine that normally came in a heavy car. Heavy cars generally were equipped with 2.75-3.0 gears. Knowing the car would be about half the weight of its original car, Jason and John both strongly advised I go with something close to factory gearing since that was what the engine was originally matched to. I based my discussions on the fact that I'd be running a 30" cheater slick. In looking at the cost differences between posi and an open rear, I was quite surprised that Jason suggested that the open rear end was a great option versus a posi. Unless I was planning on drag racing or desperately wanted to leave "twin black marks", he felt that the posi was overkill and actually might make the car less forgiving, should it break loose when jumped on. He recommended a 3.00 or 3.25 gear, so that RPMs would be in the comfotable cruising zone at highway speeds, ultimately recommending 3.25s. Having the same conversation with John, netted his recommendation to go with a 3.00 gearing so that cruising at 70 would put me in the 2000-2200 range. I was quite surprised that two such knowldgable guys would recommend freeway gears. What neither one knew is that I had a 12-bolt one-legger from a 66 Riviera at my disposal but had looked beyong it figuring I wanted both posi and steeper gearing. Wrong on both counts. We're going to go with the 12-bolt as long as its width works in our favor (It was originally purchased for my 29 roadster).

Here are the number for both gentlemen should you need some sage advice
from two guy who clearly know their rears from a proverbial hole in the ground.
Jason @ Pete & Jakes: (800) 334-7240
John's Industries: (800) 332-2450

No comments:

Post a Comment